Learn, embody, do as a +LAB Fellow
What is the +LAB?
The +LAB brings together undergraduate and graduate students from across the university in a dynamic extracurricular learning environment designed to:
- Immerse students in the theory and practice of Positive Organizational Scholarship (POS)
- Equip students to apply what they have learned to be organizational change agents
The +LAB experience
Selected students complete the application, participate in a community interview session and are invited to the +LAB in early fall. The program kicks off on Friday, October 6 and runs through the end of February. During the program, +LAB students attend +LAB events and register for MO455/555 in Winter A semester.
Huddles and events
- Huddles: +LAB learning sessions are called huddles. Engage with fellow students during our bi-weekly huddles where we invite organizational and academic leaders to equip and inspire our students with case studies, pioneering research, and positive organizational practices. To see what life in a +LAB huddle looks like, check out our Facebook photo album.
- Pop-ups: Connect with visiting leaders and researchers during informal small group sessions across a wide-variety of positive organizing topics. During the 2016-17 program, CPO hosted a dozen pop-ups where we matched students with scholars and industry leaders for generative discussions related to emerging practices and research.
- CPO Events: Gain inspiring and practical research-based strategies for building organizations at our monthly Positive Links featuring leading Positive Organizational scholars from around the world. Connect with our community of academics, students, staff, and leaders at our receptions that immediately follow each session.
MO455/555: Foundations in POS
- +LAB students enroll in MO 455/555, a 7-week course in Winter A semester taught by Jane Dutton. This course is designated to give students (undergraduate and graduate) a working and practical knowledge of the growing domain of positive organizational scholarship based on an intensive immersion in POS research and practice.
- POS is an interdisciplinary approach to leading and being in work organizations in ways that call forth the best in people, resulting in individual and collective flourishing. Flourishing is a term that captures the optimal state of functioning of individuals, groups or organizations, with indicators such as thriving, engagement, health, growth and creativity as well as other markers of being in a state of positive deviance.
- To learn more about the course, check out last year’s MO 455/555 syllabus.
The 2017-18 +LAB application closed on September 13. The application process has 2 parts:
- Online: Submit your online application. The 2017-18 online applications were due September 13.
- In-person: Applicants are invited to register for one of our Community Interview Sessions once their completed application is received.
2016 +LAB Photos
More about CPO
Learn more about CPO and what we’re all about by watching our welcome video.
Other ways to get involved
Check out the Magnify Immersion Program, our spring term program for undergraduate students. Explore the undergraduate class listing or the graduate class listing to find a POS course to add to your academic schedule.
Get in touch with us at email@example.com.