Magnify Immersion Program: Spring Semester 2019
What is Magnify?
Earn 6 Ross credits, amplify your resume, + bring positive practices to the C-suite
A spring semester academic program for bringing Positive Organizational Scholarship (POS) to U-M’s best and brightest students in order to learn, identify, and employ POS principles and practices that build high-performing organizations that bring out the best in people.
What is Positive Organizational Scholarship?
As a sub-field in the area of Management and Organizations, POS is emerging as a focus for organizations to empower people to create positive work environments, improving the culture of their workplace and helping them discover what is possible with employees and within their organizations.
The class + students
The Magnify program welcomes 50 U-M undergrads, commonly studying business or organizational studies with an interest in POS-related practices and research. The course is composed of three components: classroom work, action-learning, and an integrated reflection.
To explore the classroom work, please review the Magnify 2019 syllabus.
Viewbook: Learn more about the Magnify experience
- Immersive learning: Students learn about the latest POS research, principles, and practices and apply them in a unique learning community with devoted and passionate instructors.
- Bringing life to work: Student teams spend a week embedded at a partner organization hosted by high-level change agents using evidence-based tools and field research methods to interpret their positive capabilities such as resilience, gratitude, and compassion. Sample partner organizations include Cascade Engineering, Pet Supplies Plus, Michigan Medicine, and the Michigan State Prison System.
- Bright future: In addition to building a network with business leaders and Ross alums, students discover their own positive identity and explore potential trajectories for career growth as change agents.
- Earn 6 credits: This class meets daily throughout the spring term including one week off-site at a partner organization.
The application process has 2 parts:
Submit your online application. Our Early Decision Deadline is January 18, 2019. Applicants who meet the Early Decision Deadline will be guaranteed the opportunity for an in-person interview
After applications are reviewed by the Magnify Teaching Team, applicants are invited to register for an interview session. Interviews are either individual or group interviews depending on the application cycle.
- January 14 at 2:30-4pm: Office Hours at the Center for Positive Organizations in the Ross Annex
- January 18, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.: Early Decision Deadline
- February 15 at 11:59 p.m.: Regular Application Deadline
- Through April: Deadline was extended through april; rolling interviews were offered until we reached full enrollment.
Past organizational partners (from 2018)
- Atomic Object
- General Motors
- Henry Ford Health System
- Huron Valley Radiology
- Pet Supplies Plus
- Union Gas
- Michigan State Prison System – Vocational Village
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply to Magnify?
Undergraduate students from any school or college at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor are welcome to apply to Magnify.
What are the dates of the program?
Students should expect the program to run from May 7-June 20. During the program, you will spend a week on-site at a partner organization. The daily schedule varies based on the activities planned, with classroom sessions in the window of 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. As the 2019 schedule is finalized, we will continue to share updated details.
What are the costs associated with Magnify?
The costs associated with Magnify are the costs of enrolling in the 6-credit spring term Magnify course: MO 355.
Student or Action Learning Partner Questions
Contact our learning programs team at firstname.lastname@example.org.